What is Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans)?
Kashin-Beck disease, also called Osteoarthritis deformans, occurs in children, is bone disease that pathological changes is articular cartilage, epiphyseal plate cartilage and epiphyseal cartilage degeneration or necrosis. Disease in the endemic area, soil, food and human hair in the low selenium content and condition have a very clear negative correlation. The total amount of humic acid and humic acid in water (-OH) with the condition have a very significant positive correlation. Kashin-Beck of trace elements in drinking water shortage area, excess and imbalance may be caused by changes in the factors of malnutrition. In addition, the use of "foodstuffs, water, hygiene," the prevention of Kashin-Beck disease has been achieved with good results. Kashin-Beck disease usually occur in children at 3-15 years of age, hand, foot and ankle high incidence.
What is causes of Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans)?
Kashin-Beck disease may caused by chronic poisoning, fungal pathogens of cereals. Pathogenic fungus probable is Fusarium.
What is symptoms of Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans)?
Typical Kashin-Beck disease symptoms is the dwarf, bone-side increased, restricted movement and pain in the joints. If the incidence in adolescence, as a result of ossification of epiphyseal plate in advance, so that development obstacles, the performance for the dwarf type. Small size, large joints, as well as pain and activity limitation, to the incidence of ankle first, followed by order of a finger joint, knee, elbow, wrist, hip joints and toes. Epiphyseal plate due to inconsistencies in the speed of integration, the two are often lower limb knee varus, knee valgus or varus deformity of hip. Short and thick fingers small, flat feet. Age of the more light, the more severe deformities. If the incidence in the latter part of youth, it was not obvious deformity. Mainly for the symptoms of osteoarthritis, joint swelling, a small amount of fluid, when there is a sense of friction and locking symptoms from time to time, and sometimes also to check that there is intra-articular loose bodies. Adult onset of lower extremity, and because of ankle, knee swelling pain, walking is very inconvenient.
How is Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans) diagnosis?
Kashin-Beck disease is in the process of bone development occurring in the body, and multi-focal, necrotizing disease of cartilage, bone and joint damage. Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans) diagnosis diagnosis is X-ray. X-ray findings are follows:
1. Metaphyseal edge of fuzzy or uneven, and the jagged shape showed wavy. If the lesions continue to develop client phalanx was irregular edge to the phenomenon of fragmentation. At this point, no significant deformation of the joints.
2. To epiphyseal fusion and characterized the backbone of the beginning. Since the beginning of the central part of epiphyseal fusion, gradually extended to the brink of destruction of epiphysis of its own, too, sub-section, not the whole of such a phenomenon may also be absorbed completely.
3. Dry completely epiphyseal fusion, longitudinal bone growth stopped, shorter of bone. Because sooner or later, do different epiphyseal fusion, which can show the length of the missing finger, bone-side large deformation, so that large joints.
4. If the metaphysis of young people after the incidence of healing, and often serious clinical symptoms. Joints have a relatively bone-side damage, can affect the entire joint, expressed as Kashin-Beck deformities, can be accompanied by a short backbone.
5. Kashin-Beck disease are seen in a series of signs of necrosis of cartilage repair and secondary changes. Only a result of the restoration organizations, in particular the changes in bone modeling, to development of disease regression, stability or deformities.
How is Kashin-Beck disease (Osteoarthritis deformans) treatment?
Kashin-Beck disease not cure, also can not inhibit the development of lesions. Symptomatic treatment can alleviate the pain. Treatment for Kashin-Beck disease with joint deformity is surgery. Free locking and pain caused by loose bodies can be the removal. Lip too much bone is too large and the impact of joint activities, the bone can be removed to improve the function of lip. Section of the varus, valgus, and can be used for osteotomy. A result of bilateral or multi-grade multiple lesions, not suitable for arthrodesis.